Property tax reduction sign up slated at senior center

Aberdeen residents who qualify can apply for the property tax reduction (Circuit Breaker) at the Aberdeen Senior Citizen Center. Call 397-4349 to make an appointment. Residents can also apply in the Bingham County Assessor’s Office from now until Monday, April 15, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Applying for the circuit breaker can reduce your property tax bill if a person qualifies. To qualify, a person must own and occupy a house as a 2013 primary residence, have a total household income of $28,000 or less after deducting out-of pocket medical expenses for 2012 and be one or more of the following as of Jan. 1, 2013: age 65 or older, a widow(er), blind, former Prisoner of War, disabled veteran (10% disability), disabled (Soc. Sec./Railroad/Civil Service), or fatherless or motherless homeowner under 18 years of age.

When applying, bring the following for proof of income: 2012 income tax copies (Form 1040), Social Security income (Form 1099), S.S.I. income, pension, retirement or annuities, interest earned, wages, IRA payments, and disability income (from any source). Also bring medical expenses including medical insurance premium amounts, printouts from doctors offices, printouts from dentist offices, printouts from pharmacy (prescription drugs), printouts for glasses or eye doctor, and hearing aids.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *