In 1909 a dry farmer named Abrien Friesen. built the school house which is now the Methodist Church in Aberdeen.
Under the Federal Carey Act of the late 1800s water out of the Snake River was filed on for the Aberdeen-Springfield area in February 1895. On the third try, the American Falls Canal and Power Company succeeded in establishing a canal system to bring the water 50 miles to the Aberdeen area in 1908 and 1909. Settlers took over the system by buying out the company in 1910.
Among the farmers were the founders of the Aberdeen Methodist Church. The first church meetings were held in a tent 20 x 40 feet with wooden floors and sides and was used by other denominations as…
Read the full story and more in the paper edition of The Aberdeen Times! Subscribe Today!
Thanks for reading!
Read more in this week's print edition.Subscribe Today!